As the days turn into months time sure has flown by since your birth. You’ve made me think about many things in this world, not the least of which is how I want you to live.
I’ve found myself reading more these days, and I hate reading, but I’m reading on how to be a better father for you and how to raise you to be the man I will be proud of. Here are a few things that I really want you to know.
- Pray and be a spiritual leader in your home, workplace and church.
- Play sports. It will teach you how to win honorably, lose gracefully, respect authority, work with others, manage your time and stay out of trouble.
- Save money when you’re young because you’re going to need it some day.
- You will set the tone for the sexual relationship, so don’t take something away from her that you can’t give back.
- Don’t ever be a bully and don’t ever start a fight, but if some idiot starts it, defend yourself.
- Your knowledge and education are things that nobody can take away from you.
- Always treat women kindly. Always.
- Be strong and tender at the same time.
- Mutual respect is the key to good relationships.
- “Yes ma’am” and “yes sir” are still expected of you all the time.
- Peer pressure is a horrible thing. Be a good leader and others will follow.
- Bringing her flowers for no reason is always a good idea. Trust me on this one!
- Be patriotic. Show everyone that you love your country.
- Please choose your spouse wisely. My daughter-in-law will be the gatekeeper for me spending time with the two of you and my grandchildren.
- Remember to call your parents because we might be missing you.
With Love, Pop
Post adapted from ”20 Things a Mother Should Tell Her Son” - Werdyab